HomeThrifting TreasuresShopWhats Happening

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Curves Rock!

Hey beautiful people! As promsied, this post is all about my Curves Rock Weekend, Runway Show experience. Most of you know that I won the tickets, thank to Kim over at Curvy CEO. I was SUPER excited to attend, seeing as how this was the first runway show I've been to that caters to women my size. The founders, Tykesha "Ms. Diva Doll" Reed and Chanell "Stallion N' Stilettos" Jones are both plus size models. The ladies brought this Curves Rock Weekend to the DMV and their 1st event was a huge success, to say the least. Both ladies are involved in the community and from what I have read/seen, they're ambitious and extremely talented young ladies. 

(click pic for more info)

Thinking about the event, the first thing that came to my mind was, of course, what am I going to wear??? I turned to my mother and little sister, fashion diva in training, and they gave me a few suggestions. I knew what look I was going for and when I saw this one-shouldered, maxi dress, I just KNEW it was the one for me! I wanted soemthing to accentuate my curves, but above all I wanted to be comfortable. This Allen B. dress fit all the criteria. I borrowed my mom's jewelry, bag and did my own make up. I felt like a million bucks ;-)




So outfit, done! Now onto the event...it took place at the BWI Hilton, which also happens to be the place where I will be getting married :-) I walked in and there were several vendors, participants and fabolous women! I knew I was going to have a great time. As I was eyeing some nice items on a accessory table, I glanced up and saw a gorgeous woman with a head full of hair. I looked again, and realized it was Shanda from the popular YouTube show, Shanda Says! She was so sweet when I introduced myself, she was kind enough to take this photo with me....talk about starstruck ;-) Check out her YouTube channel, HERE. She also has her own clothing line coming out, the Gemini Collection, which she will showcase at Maryland Fashion Week on August 12th. The dress in the picture is a piece from her line. Yes, it looks just as fabulous in person ;-)


These are some of the accessories I saw while browsing the table(s). I ended up purchasing a pair of earrings and they are SO unique. I can't wait to wear them!




The earrings, and the jewelry seen above, are from the House of Mimi. She has some VERY unique and stylish pieces and I can't wait to shop for some more items very soon.

Now onto the show...the show consisted of several designers but my favorite collections were from Baltimore's own Couture Queen, Tru Diva, and the featured designer, Qristyl Fraiser. Fraiser, who has been on Project Runway, had some great designs. I did not get pictures of her looks (unfortunately) but there is a swim suit HERE that I am dying for!! I also  LOVED the bustiers that were showcased. The designer, Alter Ego Clothing, did a great job and my favorite is the animal print on pictured below. I can do some thangs with that right there!!! LOL. Below are other looks from different designers that really caught my eye. Let's just say I can't wait to go birthday shopping in a few weeks!




The hosts of the events, Liris Crosse (more info, HERE) and Chenese Lewis (more info, HERE), were great and really kept the audience engaged. Both ladies who are very active in the plus-size industry and looked great every time they an outfit change throughout the show. 

All in all, the event was one I won't forget. I met a lot of great people, was able to network, and I gained even more confidence. Being a curvy woman in today's society may not be the 'norm' but it sure is A-OK with me. Curves Rock and I intend to flaunt them every chance I get ;-)

31 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great time at the event. I knew about it but I totally forgot about the days. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, i would've loved to have seen you. but i will see you this weekend :-)

      Delete
  2. That Frasier swimsuit is THE BOMB!!! So cute! Glad you enjoyed yourself, sounded like an awesome event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look beautiful! I love the dress you wore. This looks like it was such a fun event. Wish I could have gone with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sis! i wish you were there too; we would have had a BALL!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a fabulous time!! I love Shanda!! She and her husband Scoop used to do a webshow called Man & Wife, and I watched it religiously. I watch Shanda Says as well. I would have loved to meet her and pick her brain! lol!

    You looked so cute!! I love that one shoulder number! It fell over your curves perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! i watched that too.

      thanks for the compliment :-)

      Delete
  5. Awesome recap! Too bad you beat me out for those tix or I would've been there..LOL That swimsuit = fiyah! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in for anything that has leopard print.
    You look great, the dress is amazing.
    * STYLE ID NET *
    * Filomenas Closet *

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got to come!!! Tomorrow and Thursday I will be posting videos from the show - hope you'll stop by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like it was a great event and I love the dress you wore. You look so pretty! Those accessories look pretty amazing. How did you refrain from baying anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i did buy one pair of earrings...but it was hard to just pick one thing! lol!

      Delete
  9. That dress is beautiful! You look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like an amazing event!! You are werking that leopard print dress!!

    -Cherrie
    CherrieAmore.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving your dress! You look great :)

    xo,Cortnie
    http://stylelustpages.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gone Nic girl! Lovin' the one shoulder...you look fabu!
    www.swoonblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The python dress looks nice on you. Cute look!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dont see enough python dresses!.. hot x

    http://www.thetiffanyannabelle.com/

    ReplyDelete