HomeThrifting TreasuresShopWhats Happening

Saturday, May 5, 2012

According to Nic: Thrifting 101

Hey there! I am really excited about this post because its about a topic I am very passionate about...THRIFTING!!! It's funny because as a young girl, I remember my Fafa (grandfather) always talked about the Goodwill and Salvation Army. I didn't get why he would go there to get clothes that once belonged to other people. In my young little mind, I thought the idea was gross. I didn't see it as an art. Fast forward years later, I am beginning to follow in his footsteps more and more! I now appreciate thrifting and I really feel that it's the best way to find/add unique pieces to your wardrobe.

I know many people thrift and find it to be a great experience. For example, I am completely taken by the dedication and skills that Mr. Goodwill Hunting, Looking Fly on a Dime, and Virtuous Styls (just to name a few) encompass when it comes to thrifting. They have, in my opinion, taken thrifitng to a new level and they've really made me examine my thrifting techniques. They've also made thrifting 'cool' to other bloggers.

So what can I bring to the thrifting table?? Well, just some basic tips that I use before, during and after my thrifting excursions. Below are my 5 easy tips, a few of my fave thrifted looks, as well as the links to some thrift stores in the MD area. I hope you find this helpful and I hope to have opened your eyes to the great world of thrifting ;-) Feedback on this post would be GREAT so feel free to leave a comment/message. I really hope this can help someone and maybe urge others to get out there and try thrifting :-) Be blessed and take care!

How do I begin?
1. Scan your closet (what do you have / what do you need??)


2. Make a list (needs/wants)


3. Decide on a budget
-it is so easy to overspend b/c thrifted items are inexpensive; however, budgeting is key...decide what you really need based on season, event, etc.


4. Have a plan (a good thrifting trip for me takes anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours... depending on the size of the store and the size of my list, LOL)
-when you enter the thrift store, do a walk through...make a note of where everything is before you start to shop; this will help increase implosive spending too ;-)


5. GRAB IT & TRY IT! (once you get in the store, it's every man.woman for themselves, LOL) 
-if you see something that you like, grab it! try it on over your clothes, if possible, then decide...i usually wear something comfy while thrifting so i won't have to go in the dressing room to try things on...saves a lot of time1


Nic's Top 5 Thrifting Staple Items
1. Handbags & Clutches


2. (Seasonal) Jackets & Capes


3. Blazers


4. ACCESSORIES (my fave!)


5. Vintage dresses (perfect for special events, or to wear just b/c!)


Purchased some great items...Now what???
1. Dry Clean (certain items) and wash the clothes (READ THE LABELS)


2. Tailor certain items
-you're only spending a few bucks on the item anyway; if its a little too big, buy it anyway and have it tailored to fit you body!


3. Sanitize Accessories & Handbags 
-when purchasing jewelry, i usually use alcohol to wipe them down, or i freeze the items (a tip i learned form Looking Fly on a Dime on the Nate Berkus show)
-with handbags, i use a Lysol wipe to wipe the inside (depending on the material), and i use alcohol to wipe off the hardware on the bag (i.e. zipper, buttons, studs, etc.)
-when i purchase shoes, i do the same thing... Lysol wipes (depending on the material)/or alcohol...i even use foot powder or something like that (LOL)


Other Helpful/Fun tips
-Find & clip inspirational items from Magazines and take them with you!
-Use the Pintrest app on your phone and have it handy when thrifting---it's great!
-Go with friends!---everything is better with your girlfriends :-)
-Plan your visits (bi-weekly, monthly, seasonally) depending on what you need and your budget!
-HAVE FUN :-)




My fave Thrift Stores in MD
(click on store name for information)
1. 2nd Avenue (Columbia, MD)
2. The Goodwill Super Store (Jessup, MD)
3. Village thrift Store (Laurel, MD)
4. The Goodwill (Rockville, MD)
(haven't been here yet but i've heard nothing but GREAT things!)


Some of my Fave Thrifty Finds 
(click on pictures for the blog link)

*thrifted suit, eBay (BCBG) heels*

*thrifted tunic (so soft & comfortable)*

*blazer & sheer cardigan type thing, LOL*

*thrifted dress, free booties (from  a shop & swap event)*

*thrifted purse*

*brand new, thrifted men's shoes*

*all thrifted accessories*

*thrifted necklace*

*sun and the moon*

*accessories, make-up bag & jacket*

*clothes form goodwill & salvation army*

23 comments:

  1. This is such a great post. I'm a bit of a newbie at thrifting, but I LOVE it. I have an aunt that used to drag us to the thrift stores when we were kids and I though the same things you did about your grandfather. But your tips are so on point and you have gathered some fabulous items.

    7eventh Letter
    http://www.whatsmoreimportantthanfashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, glad i wasn't the only one thinking that way ;-) thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. just love thrift shopping !! i go about the same way!

    megha
    http://meghafashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You thrifted some great stuff! Great prints!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Nic! Love the pointers and information you've provided. I feel like I can start thrifting now! Thank you! You found some really nice things. Hoping to do the same! Will keep u posted :) Happy Sunday.

    xo Marie
    http://nyorkeratheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, marie!! keep me updated on what you find ;-) XO

      Delete
  5. good gracious! That is a lot of stuff and they all look like great picks too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to locate some better thrift stores. You've found some really great pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That suit looks so classy on you - love it!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first suit is my favorite of your finds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A thrifting trip is in order, Nic! We gots to make it happen. You've found some great, great items. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips! And I really love the tunic and floral blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT post! I love thrifting, especially for jewelry/accessories! You have some beautiful finds!

    Stay beautiful! *Smooches*
    Nique

    www.chubbydivaonadime.com
    @chubbydivanique

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are some great finds!
    stylishedforever.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great tips! Definitely important about cleaning jewelry, although I have never heard of freezing! Very interesting. Blazers are my absolute favorite thing to find at thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay for thrifting!! ;-) thanks for the kind comments!

      Delete